So I decided to upgrade my wordpress installation on my company intranet. We were running an older version of WordPress MU (2.7..so I thought) and wanted to bump it up to the latest.
I read the instructions over and over and seemed pretty straightforward. So I began.
Step 1. Tar up my site. That took forever.
Step 2. Dump my db. Did that.
Step 3. Script my db as well. Glad I did that.
Step 4. Back up .htaccess and wp-config.php and copy over all files (not wp-content).
Everything was going well. Checked permissions, files, db…all was in order.
Fire up my browser and nothing. I looked at firebug and saw that i was getting a 500 error. Checked the logs nothing out of the ordinary.
Did the following: login with the db user using phpmyadmin, mysql, changed password, created new user and nothing worked. I then created a new db and copied tables over…nothing. I then tried to start from scratch..kinda like a new install…nothing. Still could not connect to DB. CHMOD 777 everything. Nothing. Finally I downloaded another 2.8.4a version and uploaded the whole thing. New installation with that went fine.
Argh. Tried to change to old db, nothing. So I manually copied over all the data into the new database. Still doing it. Also, my theme no longer works…that is Fridays job