In celebration of National Entrepreneurship Week, Microsoft Boston and Microsoft Natick will be hosting free two-hour special events for aspiring entrepreneurs and early-stage startups. You’ll hear a keynote address from a successful startup founder and a panel of local entrepreneurs and entrepreneurship experts will be sharing insights and taking questions. Later you’ll have the opportunity to network with other local startups and entrepreneurs and to hear about Microsoft BizSpark and other business solutions offered by Microsoft. Read more “Entrepreneurship Week Event: Turning Your Ideas into a Reality”
Every year since 1963, the President of the United States has issued a proclamation announcing National Small Business Week, which recognizes the critical contributions of America’s entrepreneurs and small business owners.
More than half of Americans either own or work for a small business, and they create about two out of every three new jobs in the U.S. each year.
As part of National Small Business Week, the U.S. Small Business Administration takes the opportunity to highlight the impact of outstanding entrepreneurs, small business owners, and others from all 50 states and U.S. territories. Every day, they’re working to grow small businesses, create 21st century jobs, drive innovation, and increase America’s global competitiveness. See more @ sba.gov
We at Microsoft are helping as well. We have events scheduled all across the country at various Microsoft Stores and offices. At the Westfarms location starting Monday night, there are workshops and presentations to get your small business going.
Monday May 4th
- 10:00am – Start Simplifying your Business with Surface Pen – Throughout this workshop, attendees will be able to see the benefits that Surface Pen will help aid their business, whether they are on the go, or in a workspace!
- 6:00pm – Office in the Cloud – Come in and learn how Office in the Cloud, is your familiar office that you’re used to, now with the ability to work on virtually any device you use most!
Tuesday May 5th
- 10:00am – Power Up Your Business with Surface – In this workshop, Microsoft shares key benefits of the Surface specifically for small and medium-sized business needs. Learn how this essential device delivers power, portability, and productivity with the versatility to work as both a laptop and a tablet. Want to know what the essential differences are between the MacBook/Macbook Air and Surface? Learn all about it. You’ll also have the opportunity to experience key Surface Pro features useful to business professionals with hands-on experience creating invoices, setting up meetings and editing a presentation.
- 6:00pm – Put Your Business in the Cloud – Learn how Microsoft BizSpark can benefit your business. Why partnering with Microsoft may be the smartest move you ever make for your business. See how to leverage BizSpark for operational needs, web development, mobile gaming + more! Microsoft BizSpark is a global program that provides free software, support and visibility to help startups succeed.
Wednesday May 6th
- 4:00pm – Virtualizing Your Business with Office 365 and Azure – Understand the benefits of Office 365, and virtualizing your business in the Cloud, as well as how Azure can safeguard and keep your data secure!
- 6:00pm – Workshop: Understanding the Benefits of SharePoint
Thursday May 7th
- 6:00pm – Small Business Networking Event – Come in and network with other Businesses, Partners and resources to understand some tips on how to become a more successful business!
Experience summer camps at the Microsoft Retail Stores!
DigiGirlz Smart Game Designing and YouthSpark CodeIT!
Experience a whole new world by using a touch screen on a Surface Pro and learn to use two new tools that program great games. With TouchDevelop if you can point, you can program and play with mobile app games. After this, enter into a virtual universe where players create and creators play. With Project Spark you create entire new worlds, program heroes and villains, edit a characters brain, and design an entire game. This is a fun filled workshop with lots of hands on features.
Spring has sprung and so have our workshops and events for the Connecticut region! I have been hosting workshops at the Microsoft Stores, on campus events and Build Your Biz workshops.
What we have lined up over the next few weeks makes these workshops even more exciting.
We have a great contests going on to support these workshops.
First we have a BAM or Best App a Month contest. Attend a workshop session or Studio Time and create a Windows 8 app for a chance to win a Dell Venue Pro tablet.
And then check out the giveaways at the //publish event
The celebration kicked off on Thursday February 27th with a reception at the newest Microsoft Store in Connecticut. It is located at the Westfarms Mall in the upper level near Macy’s and Center Court. The store looks great! The product displays are excellent. The staff is friendly and excited to help.
While this event was invite only, local businesses had the chance to walk around the store. Look at and demo products. Speak with the knowlegdable staff. And most of all have a great time. Read more “Microsoft Store at Westfarms Mall in Connecticut”
On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM I will be hosting a Build your first app workshop using Windows Phone App Studio. The workshop will be at the BRAND NEW Microsoft Store located at the Westfarms Mall. The store can be found located on the Upper Level between Center Court and Macy’s.
We know you, you’ve got a great idea for an app, you want to share your interests with the world, but you just don’t have enough time. If only you had a way to quickly bring this app to life. With Windows Phone App Studio, you do!
Windows Phone App Studio lets you swiftly build apps for inmediate publishing, testing, and sharing with clients, co-workers, friends, and family. Need to make changes or try variations? With App Studio it’s a snap!
And when you’re ready to add advanced programming features, Windows Phone App Studio generates your source code – a feature no other app-builder tool provides. Get with the program!
• Computer or Tablet
• Microsoft Account
Find more information on our MeetUp page.
West Farms Mall, located just outside of Hartford CT, will open Connecticuts second Microsoft Store (the first being in Danbury Fair Mall in Danbury CT).
The West Farms Mall had a Microsoft Kiosk for some time now and will receive a full blown store with all of its bells and whistles.
As your local Technical Evangelist, I will be setting up shop on connsecutive Tuesdays delivering Windows App Dev workshops.
(Topics TBD. Stay tuned)
- March 4th
- March 11th
- March 18th
- March 25th
- April 1st
- April 8th
Workshops all start at 5:00pm and last about 1 1/2 – 2 hours.