What: Windows Phone Developer Day
When: Feb 1st, 12pm to 6pm
Mark your calendars for Saturday, Feb 1, 2014 and free up 12-6 PM to be in Cambridge, MA. The Microsoft and Nokia Evangelist are teaming up to help you publish your Windows Phone Apps!
Here is the preliminary schedule (subject to tweaking):
- 12 PM DevCenter Submission Walkthrough (30 minutes): See just how easy it is to submit and publish an app worldwide
- 12:30 PM Build an app in 30 minutes with App Studio (30 minutes): See how to build an app from an idea to publishable in 30 minutes, literally.
- 1 PM – 1:30 PM Lunch: I’ll be providing food and snacks. This is when you think about what you need help with or when you should think of your app idea for App Studio.
- 1:30-6 PM Hands-on time: The experts will be available to help during this time. They will be walking around helping and/or attending to requests for help.
By the end of the day I fully expect everyone’s apps will be ready and submitted to DevCenter and on it’s way to the global app marketplace.
Sign up here
What will you need to bring?
- If you need help on an existing app, bring your laptop dev environment with your app on it.
- If you want to build an app without any code, bring a laptop that has a modern browser (IE10-11, Chrome). You’ll only need your browser to build and submit the app to the store. If you do not have a Windows Phone, the experts will be able to help you test the app on their phone
Everyone who attends and publishes their app will be entered to win a “hero” Nokia Lumia (1020, 928, 925, 920, etc) of their choice. I’ll be saving some swag/prize surprises for the day of the event. Also, Microsoft will be bringing some prizes of their own! I will update this post with more details as we get closer to Feb 1st.
Note: If you accept a prize from Nokia, you agree to these terms.
To write native Windows Phone 8 apps, you will need to be using Windows 8 Pro. If you do not have windows 8 Pro, you can utilize the Windows Phone App Studio app.
General Windows Phone 8 developer environment minimum
1. Mac users only: Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop, VirtualBox or VMWare Fusion
2. Windows 8 (or 8.1) Professional (a 90-day evaluation version available here)
3. The Windows Phone SDK is available here.
Directions to #1 CAMBRIDGE CENTER Directions from Bing
(Note: there is some construction being performed on the Longfellow bridge and it is currently closed to Cambridge-bound traffic )
ARRIVING BY PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
MBTA (“The T”)
Cambridge Center is accessible via the MBTA Red Line at the Kendall Square/MIT stop (between the Charles Street and Central Square stops). The Red Line links up with other lines providing access to virtually the entire Greater Boston region, including Logan Airport. Please follow the Microsoft signs to our main entrance in the front of our building.
Sign up here