Build 2014 – Microsoft Announcements for Windows Phone 8.1
Have a Windows Phone? Then get ready we’ve added a BUNCH of new features that make your smartphone even more a reflection of your personality and desires.
Here is the demo and then read on for the full list.
[youtube_sc url=”cAu0YgPnuXM” title=”Windows%20Phone%208.1″ fs=”1″]
Windows Phone 8.1
- Start screen has 3 columns for more Live Tiles and personalization
- Start background can contain your favorite picture
- Lock screen themes and animations
- Action center will contain items for ANY app, pinned or not.
- Access settings like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Rotation Lock quickly in the action center.
- The keyboard will now work as a flow or Word Flow. It will be smart enough to learn your writing style and type extremely fast.
- Oh yeah, Word Flow beat the world record by 8 seconds.
- Skype is now integrated with the Phone dialer. So you can “upgrade” your voice conversation to a “video” conversation.
- The Calendar has been redesigned (thankfully) and adds a week view that makes sense. It looks more like Outlook and with weather built in, it is very much like Outlook.
- Music, Video and Podcasts have all been split up and is easier to manage.
- Video app can now buy or rent videos from Xbox music.
- Podcasts can now subscribe to any RSS feeds.
- Bing-powered podcast search for every country.
- Speaking of video and podcast, volume sliders are now different for ringer/notifications and your media.
- People hub gets larger photos for your social feeds.
- Email supports S/MIME secure email.
- Support for iCloud accounts – yes iCloud!
- Photos organized in groups by date and location.
- 3rd parties can plugin their services to online photo albums
- Burst mode for Camera
- Data sense is smarter to off-load data to wifi and limit cellular service when reaching limits
- Compression of images when you browse the web when “high savings” is enabled
- Wifi sense connects to public hotspots
- Move content arounc using Storage Sense from memory to SD cards.
- Battery saver allows you to make informed decisions with a breakdown of each app.
Cortana – Still windows Phone 8.1
- See video
- Powered by Bing
- Builds a relationship with you that you can trust.
- Gets better over time.
- Looks thourghout your day to help with everyday tasks.
- Activate by Live Tile or via Search button.
- Speak to her and she will speak back.
- Type to her and she will type back.
- She keeps track of interest, reminders, places and more to make informed decisions
- Sign in to Bing.com, perform some searches, Cortana is learning and helping.
- 3rd Party apps can leverage Cortana, search for a TV show in Hulu, look up a new feed on Facebook, or send out a Tweet.
Windows AND Windows Phone
- Microsoft Account and Windows and Windows Phone will now work together by synching themes across devices.
- Purchases will synch.
- Wi-Fi passwords for your home and places will synch.
- Project your phone to a PC or TV.
- Tabs will fit better on the Phone within Internet Explorer