Activate Your DreamSpark Subscription to use Azure
What is DreamSpark?
DreamSpark is a Microsoft Program that supports technical education by providing access to Microsoft software for learning, teaching and research purposes.
DreamSpark is simple: it’s all about giving students Microsoft professional-level developer and designer tools at no cost so that students can chase their dreams and create the next big breakthrough in technology – or just get a head start on their career.
DreamSpark helps educators teach the latest technologies and experiment in research. Microsoft knows that to make learning more motivating, relevant, and engaging for today’s students requires a diverse set of resources. DreamSpark gives educators the resources to ensure their classrooms always have the latest technologies to challenge, motivate, and keep students engaged in new ways.
DreamSpark is also a subscription for Academic Institutions: it provides a cost-effective way to put Microsoft developer tools, platforms and servers in labs and classrooms, and on their students’ and faculty’s computers for learning and research purposes. It reduces lab costs and teaching budgets.
How do I get it?
As a Student: simply create an account, verify your student status and download software through this website at no cost. If your school/university has a subscription, you can also get access to more software titles.
Here are the steps:
- Head on over to DreamSpark.com
- Click on Sign In or Get Azure Now.
- Make sure you have a Microsoft Account first and sign in to create your DreamSpark account.
- Once logged in, you can now create your DreamSpark account profile. Click ‘Continue to Verify’ to get to the verification option screen.
- The verification option screen provides several methods to verify that you are a student. Using your student email address (email@example.com), your School DreamSpark account (My College Name), Student Identity Card, Verification Code or documentation you can supply.
- Once you enter your verification method, click verify.
- If you are verified you can click continue to get to the “congratulations” screen.
- Click continue to access the DreamSpark main page. From here you will be able to get to the store and Download Software.
- You will now be presented with all of the software and service options within DreamSpark. Click on Azure to activate your Azure Subscription.
- You will now be prompted to start the Azure account activation process.
- Once you click on Register Now you will be in the Azure Account creation funnel. Fill out the appropriate information and make sure you are verified before you click sign up.
- The Azure account creation takes a couple of minutes. In the mean time you can view a video of Azure or sit and wait until you get the all done message.
- You can now start managing your service and access the Azure Portal.
- You can jump right in and start creating Web Apps!
- Unfortunately some features are not active with the Student DreamSpark subscription, such as Virtual Machines. But that is ok. There is a lot you still can do within Azure.